Cockermouth School - Exam Results 2016
Cockermouth School is pleased to announce excellent results at A Level and GCSE this year.
- Six students have been accepted onto a variety of courses at Oxford or Cambridge
- Over a third are taking up places at a Russell Group or one of the top 20 universities
- The majority of students achieved places onto their preferred university courses
- We have seen a significant increase of 7% in the headline A*-B rate this year
- Over 20 students achieved A* or A grades in all of their subjects
- Nearly a third of all grades awarded were either A* or A grades
- 70% of our students achieved 5 or more GCSEs at A*-C grade
- 64% achieved 5 or more GCSEs including English and Maths.
- Results in English, Maths and the Sciences are well above national figures
- 23 students achieved at least 5 A* grades
- 33 students achieved eight or more A* or A grades
- Well over a quarter of all grades awarded were either A* or A grades
- 79% students made expected progress from KS2 to GCSE in English
- 64% students made expected progress from KS2 to GCSE in Maths
These outstanding results are clear evidence of the further progress that Cockermouth School is making and testament to the hard work of students, the sustained dedication of staff the strong partnership we have with parents.
Of particular note is the GCSE performance of those students who receive Pupil Premium funding. In May 2015, Ofsted inspected the school to look at the progress of Pupil Premium students and reported positively on the initiatives that we were developing, noting that these needed time to embed throughout the school. Fifteen months later, we are delighted that the attainment gap between these students and the rest of the cohort has halved and that the progress of these students in English and Maths is in line with the rest of the cohort.
The success of our students reflects the high aspirations we engender in them, reinforced with high levels of effort and support, and we are proud of the achievements of all our students, whether they are moving on to Sixth Form, College, apprenticeships, university or employment.
Dr Rob Petrie, Headteacher, said ‘Our students have worked incredibly hard over the last two years and I offer them my congratulations on their successes. My thanks also go to our dedicated staff and parents who tirelessly support students throughout their studies. There are many excellent results in a range of subjects and we pride ourselves on the broad curriculum available to our students.’
Mr Rik Smith, Assistant Headteacher – Head of Key Stage 4, said ‘I am extremely proud of our Year 11 students; this excellent set of results is down to their sheer hard work and the phenomenal support from school staff and students’ parents. Our students are now suitably equipped to confidently go on to the most appropriate route to achieve the best outcomes for their futures.’
Mrs Charlotte Dumbill, Head of Sixth Form, said ‘I am particularly delighted that so many of our students achieved great success and met their high aspirations. At Cockermouth School, we are proud to be able to equip students so well for such a wide variety of future learning and employment opportunities, whether they choose to attend university or further education and training. Our focus is on ensuring that each individual has the best information and support possible to prepare them for their future beyond Cockermouth School.’
Alice King Dan Beresford Catherine Dumbill
Studies English at Studies Veterinary Studies Human
Cambridge Science at Science at
Harriet Wiggington Matthew Lewis Ben Farnworth
Studies Geography Studies Natural Science Studies Law at
at at Cambridge